Monday, September 28, 2009

To Sleep or Not to Sleep

I don't know what Will's deal has been, but since living with my parent's his sleeping habits have gone to the dumps. He used to sleep through the night, wake up at 6:30 for a bottle & then sleep until 7:30-8:00.  Now, he's been waking up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning & then again at 5:45 & then 6:45.  Scott & I finally had enough & started having him cry-it-out.  So Will woke up at 4:00 & cried for 40 minutes & then at 5:40 to cry for another 30 minutes.  He was officially awake for the day at 6:50.  It's no wonder that I'm going crazy while Scott's in school all day - we're not getting much sleep around here. Will has been so cranky - whining a lot & clinging to me like none other. I assumed he was teething (which he might be), but I really think he's just not sleeping well enough.

When he wakes up early, I try putting him in bed with me, hoping that he'll fall asleep again (I haven't had any success with this). By today, I was too tired, so every time he tried crawling around the bed (or all over me), I made him lay back down again.  Soon enough, I was pinning him with my arm so he couldn't get up.  I then started rubbing his back & singing to him (singing is not easy to do when you've just woken up).  He calmed down & within 30 minutes, he was finally asleep again.  To my amazement, he slept until 8:45 (when the phone rang & woke him up).


Sound sleeper


Nice & relaxed


Happy after a nice sleep, finally

He was sleeping so peacefully in the comfy bed that I think he must be uncomfortable on the 'mattress' in the pack-n-play. He's already been so much happier since sleeping in (not to mention I have too).

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog Liz. I love that you started 'journaling'. You really inspire me and calm me and make me smile. I LOVE that pic of Will with his hands behind his head. SO Cute! Opal has been giving us sleeping issues too... but on the other side of things - she wakes up an hour or so after going to bed. We started letting her cry it out as well... she'd always been such a good sleeper before... Anyway... so it goes :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments, whether you are a friend, acquaintance, or blog stalker, so thank you ahead of time for stopping by & saying hello!